The stone structure of the present lighthouse is understood to date from 1804 and replaces a lighthouse of timber construction that was burned to the ground by a fire in 1803.  It is located at the southern end of Walney Island at a point where the first lighthouse stood from around 1790.  At that time the light was at the high water mark on the southern tip of the island but deposits of sand have lengthened the island so that the lighthouse is now completely surrounded by grass covered land.  The distant hill, 25 km to the north, is Black Combe having a summit elevation of 598 m.  It is to the north of the Duddon estuary and to the east of the Irish Sea coast.

Back to top